If you want to celebrate your upcoming anniversary in style, you should consider buying an anniversary ring. But what exactly is an anniversary ring and what are the most important considerations when buying one?
What Are Anniversary Rings?
Anniversary rings, such as these ones from CleanOrigin.com, are a piece of jewelry designed to celebrate an important anniversary, such as your 50th wedding anniversary, or something simpler like your first date anniversary (though wedding anniversaries are more common).
While wedding bands and engagement rings have long, important standing traditions, anniversary rings are a relatively recent development. There are no rules, standards, or guidelines dictating what your anniversary ring should look like or how you wear it. You can wear your anniversary ring on any finger, or even stack it alongside your wedding ring and engagement ring. You can get an anniversary ring with a central diamond, one with an alternative gem like an emerald or sapphire, or a ring with an array of different gems in it. You can also choose from a wide variety of different shapes and styles.
One of the best features of anniversary rings is that they can fit literally any role you want. No matter what your style is, what your taste in jewelry is, or what other rings you wear regularly, there’s an anniversary ring that can be a perfect fit. For people who like to totally customize their look, and people who like to feel unbound from tradition, it’s an ideal anniversary gift.
Ideas for Buying an Anniversary Ring
If you’re buying an anniversary gift for your partner, consider these ideas as you make plans and begin shopping:
- Complement your wedding band and engagement ring. The anniversary ring is designed to celebrate your relationship in a slightly new light, so it’s a good idea to try and complement your existing wedding band and engagement ring. If the wedding band and engagement ring are small and minimalistic, perhaps the anniversary ring can be bigger and more prominent. If you already have a diamond engagement ring, a colored alternative stone may be a more suitable option than another diamond.
- Commemorate the anniversary. There are traditional gifts to give at various anniversaries, so consider playing to these traditional ideas. For example, the 7th anniversary traditional gift is copper, so a copper-tinted band could be ideal, and the 40th anniversary traditional gift is a ruby, so a ruby ring could be an excellent choice.
- Get something new. You could get something with a new, modern look – or something that plays to recent trends in the jewelry world. This would be ideal for someone who likes to keep up with modern trends.
- Go for a vintage look. Conversely, you could go for a vintage look, seeking an older, more unique style of ring. This would be ideal for someone who likes history and tradition.
- Make a statement. Pronounced, stunning rings can make a big impact, especially if your existing wedding and engagement rings are minimalistic.
- Keep it minimal. On the other hand, a sleek, minimal anniversary ring can suit almost anyone. Better yet, it can go with almost any outfit and still look amazing.
- Get a custom engraving. Engraving your jewelry is a way to make your jewelry even more personalized and special. Think carefully about a loving message you want your partner to remember whenever they glance down at the ring.
Additional Tips for Success
You can also follow these additional tips for success:
- Consider an upfront conversation. It’s common and understandable for partners to shop for an anniversary ring as a surprise, but if you’re truly uncertain about what your partner wants, consider an upfront conversation about it. You can tell them you want to buy them an anniversary ring and go shopping together, or you can be more subtle and try to get more information about what type of jewelry they might like.
- Get the right size. Most rings can be resized easily, but your anniversary ring is going to make more of an impact if it fits perfectly the first time. If you don’t know your partner’s ring size, you can figure it out stealthily by measuring rings they already own or asking family members.
- Shop around. There are many different places where you can buy anniversary rings, and you can even have some anniversary rings made from scratch to your specifications. Accordingly, it’s a good idea to shop around before making any final decisions.
Realistically, it’s hard to go wrong with an anniversary ring. Because this type of ring is so flexible, and because there are so many magnificent options available today, as long as you put thought into your decision, your partner is probably going to be thrilled with their gift.