Everyone from children to adults love a great lip balm. There are plenty of lip balm formulas on the market today from medicated, to tinted, to those including an SPF. You can even find lip balms in a great variety of prices, based on the brand and its touted benefits. The great news is that for all of you lovers of DIY beauty products out there you can even find a wide variety of recipes to create your very own lip balm right in the comfort of your own home. You can even create some awesome lip balms with your children on a rainy afternoon at home or make a few extras that you can give out as gifts for your friends and family. We’ll run through 5 awesome DIY lip balm recipes below. If you still don’t know which DIY lip balm is best suited for your needs, you can read this article on DIYFormula for 10 more lip balm recipes.
Image Source Pixabay
Recipe #1: Kool Aid Lip Balm
Kids are sure to love this fun and flavorful lip balm recipe. Here’s what you need to do:
- Items Needed: Lip balm pots, Kool Aid packets of your choice, & petroleum jelly
- Instructions: Microwave 1 tablespoon of petroleum jelly in a microwave safe bowl until liquefied (about 1-2 minutes). Stir in 1 packet of Kool Aid to liquefied petroleum jelly until mostly dissolved. Spoon mixture into lip balm pots and let cool for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe #2: DIY Medicated Lip Balm
Yes, you can make your very own medicated lip balm at home. This is another incredibly simple recipe that makes about 20 tubes of lip balm and in just about 20 minutes. Here’s all you’ll need:
- Items Needed: Lip balm tubes, wintergreen essential oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, vitamin e oil, & beeswax
- Instructions: Add 3 tablespoons coconut oil, 2 tablespoons cocoa butter, 3 drops vitamin e oil, & 2 tablespoons beeswax to a class container. Place the glass container into a saucepan filled with a few inches of water and melt ingredients over medium heat (about 10-15 minutes). Stir in approximately 3/4 teaspoon of wintergreen essential oil into melted mixture. Finally add mixture to the tubes (ideally using a syringe) and wait for it to harden.
Recipe #3: Pina Colada Lip Balm
Any time you need to escape the stress of the day, you’ll have an island inspired lip balm to invoke visions of warm, sunny beaches. Below are the items you’ll need for approximately 3-4 pots of lip balm:
- Items Needed: Lip balm pots, jojoba oil, beeswax, pineapple, coconut & flavored oils, & aloe vera oil
- Instructions: Add 6 teaspoons jojoba oil, 1 teaspoon aloe vera oil, 3 teaspoons of beeswax, 5 drops pineapple flavor oil, 5 drops of coconut flavor oil & 3 drops of rum flavor oil to a class container. Place the glass container into a saucepan filled with a few inches of water and cook over medium heat until melted. Finally add mixture to the pots and allow to harden. Enjoy!
Recipe #4: Hemp Oil Lip Balm
For all of those nature lovers out there, this is the perfect lip balm for you. Here’s what you need to do:
- Items Needed: Lip balm pots, coconut oil, olive oil, beeswax, sunflower oil, hempseed oil, honey, & your favorite fragrance oil
- Instructions: Melt the 3 tablespoons coconut oil and 1 tablespoon beeswax using method in recipe above and add in 1 tablespoon of each remaining oil & 2 drops of desired fragrance. Add to lip balms pots and allow to cool.
Recipe #5: Cooling Peppermint Lip Balm
Here’s a recipe for a great cooling peppermint lip balm that you’re sure to enjoy this warm sunny season.
- Items Needed: Lip balm pots, beeswax, coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, peppermint essential oil, & vitamin e oil
- Instructions: Again, using the heating method above, add 2 tablespoons each of beeswax & coconut oil, and 1 tablespoon of sunflower seed oil to a glass container and heat until melted. Finally add 1 teaspoon of vitamin e oil and 15 drops of peppermint oil to the melted mixture. Pour into the lip balm pots and allow to harden. Cool!
Hopefully you found some inspiration in these fun recipes, so you can create your very own lip balm concoctions at home. Making your own DIY lip balm is certainly not as daunting as it may seem and of course it’s a fully functional and amazingly useful DIY activity, as well. You really can’t beat that! Once you’ve tried out each of the 5 recipes above, you can also find countless other recipes available online, so you’ll have plenty of other formulas to try out. Make it a “balmy” day!